Editor’s Note: This recipe contains alcohol. Please make sure you’re above the legal drinking age before you use it and don’t forget that alcohol isn’t allowed on the HINU campus. Please bake responsibly!
To make the crust, Place flour and butter into the freezer for 30 minutes before starting the crust process.
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp. ice water (or more, if needed)
- 1 Can (15 oz.) Pumpkin puree
- 1 12oz. Can Evaporated Milk
- ¼ cup Fireball Whiskey (optional)
- 1 ¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice
1. In a large food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter,pulse until pea-sized and some larger pieces form. While blending, add vinegar and ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough starts to come together and becomes moist but not wet and sticky, test by squeezing dough with your fingers. Mixture will be crumbly.
2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, form into a ball, and flatten into a disk (making sure there are no/minimal cracks).
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is very cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 425º
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12” circle. Drape dough over pie dish and gently press to fit, do not stretch the dough to fit. Prick bottom with a fork, trim edge to 1”. Refrigerate 30 minutes or freeze 10 minutes.
6. Line crust with parchment and fill with dried beans or something to weigh down dough. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly golden, then remove parchment and weights. Reduce heat to 400º
7. In a large bowl, Mix Pumpkin puree, Evaporated Milk, heavy whipping cream, Fireball, and vanilla. Combine until smooth.
8. In a separate bowl, combine eggs and sugar and brown sugar until no lumps are present
9. Add Egg mixture to Pumpkin mixture, mix until fully combined.
10. Continue mixing, sprinkle spices, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, salt into the filling.
11. After the mixture is fully combined, pour into the baked pie crust.
12. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to release any air from the filling.
13. Place pie in the oven, Cook Pie at 400° for the first 15 mins, then reduced heat to 350°, continue cooking for 40 mins or until filling is totally set and a toothpick comes out clean.
14. Let sit for 30-50 min or until fully cooled. Serve and Enjoy 🙂